Here at Shining Keys, we’ve been looking at our environmental impact as well as the impact we make in how we spend our money to do the creative work we love.
One of the ways we are changing our work is through using gently used clothing that we upcycle through dyework. Buying new clothing comes with great costs in water, land, and in a human impact for the workers who are often not working in safe conditions or given a living wage. In using gently worn clothing, we are lessening these impacts as we expand the kind of clothing we get to work with as costs are lower for thrifted wares.
To learn more about how we’re changing how we do business, take a look at our post on Patreon.
Upcycling Program – What it is and how YOU can participate
This is an ongoing program where we will be joyfully accepting used clothing to upcycle and add to our stock.
For every 5 pieces of yours that we can use, we will dye something (that you provide) for you!
What kinds of things can we use?
All kinds of clothing, all sizes welcome:
- Dress Shirts
What makes a piece of clothing usable?
- Gently Worn – no tears, snags, or threading coming undone. Stains are ok, we’re dyeing em!
- Light Colors – white, cream, tan, and pastel/light colors are best
- Natural Fabrics – cotton, linen, silk, rayon
Not sure if what you have will work for us? Just ask. Send pics. We’ll happily let you know.
How to participate?
- Gather your used clothing.
- Indicate which pieces you would like dyed for you. We’re happy to take color requests.
- Use of of our contact methods using “Upcycle Program” as the subject. Let us know you have stuff mail or wish to drop off your items with us (address provided via email).
Once we get your items, we’ll check em over, let you know what we can use and make arrangements to get your dyed gift to you!!!
Thank you for helping us build our business in alignment with our values!